Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Kids with Guns

Right now I am sitting perched atop the Yogi guest house in the old city of Jodhpur, a dense maze of blue painted cubic buildings amongst the rise of mosque and jain temple spires and telephone towers. It must be nearing one am, and the stars overhead are illuminating the monstrous Mehangarh Fort on the rock outcropping only a few hundred feet to my right. Sipping on a fanta and watching the streets below (my only comrades in vigilant duty of wakefulness are the white, brown, and black steer wandering the allies; I don't think they sleep). I am coming to realize my time here in india is about to come to an end.

Walking home from an indian dinner, which was delicious and one day I will regret taking daily food for granted, I realized all around me had become a normality. Passing men sleeping in the street, having teens calling out to you, and not noticing the "filth" or buzzing street traffic was suddenly shocking. It was then I noticed that in the roundabout of a four way intersection there was a traffic light. It was not hanging from wires, but rather perched atop an ancient town-square gazebo. Also another not on functionality, only foreigners use raincoats. Today Emily and I explored the huge fort-castle overlooking the town. It was pouring rain and so we spent an hour under a gated archway, and when it rains, it really rains, no sissy sprinkle crap. Eventually we decided to see the fort-we didnt have all day- and got soaked through our raincoats in seconds. It was then I noticed all indians didnt even bother; stopping the rain was futile, and enjoying it a must. It was at this point we joined in the carefree attitude. Goofing off is fun in india; em rode rode a barricade cannon and i took back massages under falling gutter watter. All this accumulated in me seeing if our rickshaw driver was ticklish, and he didnt understand english in the slightest.
\
Awkward moments having past, I have pressed my luck enough and wont be touching anyone else. Tomorrow-another visit to the famous Omelette guy of Jodhpur, and we are waking to see the sunrise over the blue city. Aujo!

No comments: